StrongStart BC early learning programs provide school-based early learning services for adults and their young children, aged birth to five, at no cost to families. Both children and adults can benefit from StrongStart BC early learning programs – children have access to high-quality learning environments and benefit from social interactions while the adults who accompany them learn new ways to support learning, both at the program and at home.
Qualified early childhood educators lead learning activities, including stories, music and art to help children get ready for success in kindergarten.
Parents and caregivers attending StrongStart BC programs can expect to participate in organized sessions like story time, art and play activities.
Who Can Attend?
- The programs are designed for 0-5 year olds. Parents or Caregivers remain with their child(ren) at the Centre.
When will StrongStart sites open?
- We will open our StrongStart sites on September 27th.
How do I sign up?
Step 1 Register
- Please register all children, returning participants will not need to re-register. If you are unsure if your child is registered, please contact your StrongStart Facilitator. If you wish to cross-register so you can attend a different location, please contact your facilitator. Please register at: https://sd33.bc.ca/registration. You will receive an email from your StrongStart facilitator when your registration has been entered and is active. Please wait to receive this email before you drop in for a session (approx 1-2 days).
Step 2 Read our StrongStart Communicable Disease Prevention Plan
- Familiarize yourself with our Communicable Disease Prevention Plan listed below
Step 3 Drop in at one of the StrongStart sites you've registered for
- Please ensure your child is registered and you have received a confirmation email from the StrongStart facilitator
How will the program look given COVID-19 Protocols?
- You can still expect fun 'learning through play' experiences, art explorations, story-time, library, gym time and community connection in the following set-up:
- Prior to arrival, please review the Daily Health Check, to ensure all family members attending have passed the daily health screen.
- adult or caregivers will be required to wear a mask, children will not
- open to pre-registered children
- outdoor programming may be an option in the future at some locations
How can we make the most of our time?
- use the washroom before you come (washroom access will be available if needed)
- dress for play (comfy clothes that you don't mind paint spilling on are always best)
- limit belongings that you bring into the centre
Who do I contact if I have a question?
- please email the StrongStart facilitator at the site you'd like to attend (please see list of sites and email link below)
- or contact Nicole Driscoll (District Early Years Principal) email@example.com
Check sites for up to date operation times. Note that all sites are closed on Pro D Days, Winter, Spring and Summer Breaks.
List Of Sites
Check sites for up to date operation times.
Note that all sites are closed on Pro D Days, Winter, Spring and Summer Breaks.
StrongStart Communicable Disease Prevention Plan
Our programming has been designed in accordance with provincial health and safety guidelines and as you can imagine, things will look different this year due to COVID-19.
The number of participants at StrongStart programs will be reduced to accommodate physical distancing. Our programs will end 15 minutes earlier to allow for increased cleaning and disinfecting protocols. Drop-in attendance is allowed, pre-registration will be required.
Adults will be required to wear a mask and asked to maintain safe physical distance, children will be able to interact with each other, but physical contact will be minimized.
- Prior to arrival, please review the Daily Health Check, to ensure all family members attending have passed the daily health screen. Please stay home if you have any common cold symptoms, flu like symptoms and/or any symptoms related to COVID-19, awaiting COVID-19 test results, have travelled or had contact with people with Covid-19.
- At arrival, sign in and initial that you and your family have done the Daily Health Check.
- Strollers/Buggies will be parked on the designated spots outside or in the marked area of the classroom depending on the centre, providing there is room inside.
- SS Centres with no direct exterior door, facilitators will lead the participants to the SS Room
- When walking through the school hallways, and while in the centre, adult or caregivers will be required to wear a mask, children will not.
- Upon entering the classroom there will be a hand washing/sanitizing station. With most centres having a sink, families can walk directly to the sink to wash hands, waiting at designated spots.
- All items that are used will be washed and sanitized daily.
- We will be able to provide a snack for the kids. Snack will be handed out onto individual plates/napkins. No outside food will be allowed in the centre. Water, coffee and tea are allowed as long as they are in a spill proof container.